Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40 Page 41 Page 42 Page 43 Page 44 Page 45 Page 46 Page 47 Page 48 Page 49 Page 50 Page 51 Page 52A BRIEF HISTORY P rior to the arrival of European settlers in 1740, Greenbrier County was a hunting ground for the Shawnee and Cherokee Nations. The first permanent European settlement in Greenbrier County was in the present day town of Frankford in 1769. In 1774 the Earl of Dunmore, who was the Governor of the colonies of Virginia and New York, raised an army of 3000 to challenge the Shawnees. Half of this army was assembled at Fort Union, the site of present day Lewisburg, under the command of Gen- eral Andrew Lewis. This resulted in an indecisive battle at the mouth of the Kanawha River in present day Point Pleasant. European settlements were subject to a num- ber of Native American raids, including one on Fort Donnally, in Rader’s Valley, west of Lewisburg. One of the fort’s heroic defenders was an African American slave named Dick Pointer, who later requested his free- dom in an address to the Virginia Assembly. His grave is marked by an historic marker in Lewisburg Ceme- tery, next to Carnegie Hall, and his gun is on display at the North House Museum. In 1778 the earliest guests came to White Sulphur Springs to “take the waters”. The area became a popular spot for prominent citizens to retreat in the summer months to escape the heat and humidity in the lowlands. Some of the cottages from this antebellum period still stand on the grounds of The Greenbrier. Several Civil War battles took place in the area, including the Battle of Lewisburg in 1862 and the Battle of Dry Creek in 1863. Both resulted in Union victories. Greenbrier County became part of the new state of West Vir- ginia in 1863. The resort in White Sulphur Springs was acquired by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad in 1873, and the central section of today’s hotel opened in 1914 with a new name: The Greenbrier. In the 1940’s the railroad commissioned noted inte- rior designer Dorothy Draper to do a comprehensive redecora- tion, creating its now-famous signature look. OakhurstLinks,thefirstgolfcourseintheUnitedStates, was founded in 1884 just north of White Sulphur Springs. The course is still in operation under the auspices of The Greenbrier. While towns in the eastern end of the county pros- pered from agriculture and tourism, towns on the western end of the county benefitted from the timber and coal industries. For most of the 20th century the Meadow River Lumber Company operated the world’s largest hardwood sawmill in Rainelle. During World War II The Greenbrier was used as a hospital and an internment center for Axis diplomats stranded in the U.S. When the war ended the hotel returned to its tradi- tional purpose, under the ownership of the CSX Railroad. Later, during the Cold War, The Greenbrier became the site of a top secret Congressional relocation bunker. The 112,000 square- foot bunker, 720 feet underground, was completed in 1961 and operated until it was decommissioned after being exposed by a Washington Post journalist in 1992. Greenbrier County is West Virginia’s fifth oldest county and second largest county. Lewisburg is the state’s seventh old- est city. 50 | Greater Greenbrier Chamber of Commerce